Friday, August 10, 2012

Quad 5's!

I decided to play again last night in the tournament down the street.  I have some family coming in for a visit and wont be playing at all, and then a week from tomorrow a very early flight to Las Vegas.  It was a close one.  Would have been a much better win, there where 39 players instead of the other day where there was only 22.  This tournament was a lot of fun though, I made some bold moves and they paid off, but got unlucky in the end.

first double up, was with AA.  I pre-flopped raise 3x BB, and got one caller.  Flop came 10 high, he lead out and bet 250, I raised to 700, and he calls.  That call scared me, the turn he bet 500, I just called the river he bet 500, i just called, and he flipped over his top pair he had on the flop and lost.  A few hands later I took the same guy out, I limped into and unraised pot with KJ diamonds.  The flop came 10, Q, 7, and was checked around.  The turn was an A and he went all in for about his last 4 or 5 K so that was an easy call and took it down with Broadway.

When we got down to about 15 people, the blinds where getting up there, and someone went all in, i had him covered but barely.  I looked down at 55.  I figured this guy had a big A but it was a tough call becuase I did not feel that I stratigically needed to risk that many chips on a flip, and usually I wont risk that many, but the blinds really do get so outrageous that if you dont take some chances you end up blinding yourself out.  So I figured in my head I was ahead and called.  I was right AQ agaisnt my 5's. Lucky for me there was a 5 on the flop and a 5 on the turn

I was feeling pretty comfortable and then once again  about 13 people left, I was in the BB for 3K, I had about 40 total.  It folds to the SB and he thinks for a little while then pushes all in.  He is in seat 10 and I am in seat 1 so hard to really see what his stack is like, but when you look down to KK against a LB that late in the tournament it is pretty much an insta-call.  Most people install with KK in any situation.  (I will usually unless it is played out and the board is really really nasty.)  So I called with KK and he had me covered by only about 1.5K.  If I win this pot I am the chip leader going down to 12 players.  Not this time though, the SB was sitting on 22, and there was a wonderful 2 on the flop for him to crack me.

Would have been nice to go 2-0 the last two days, but I will take 1-1, knowing I played well on my loss, and only ran into some bad luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment